Since I wasn’t going to finish one of the longer books that I am reading to make #40 by yesterday, I picked up a small book we had on our bookshelf called Sons: Life’s Greatest Pride, Worry and Joy by Bonnie Louise Kuchler. The book has pictures and some great quotes about sons. Some of my favorite quotes are (starting with my ultimate favorite first):
- “If someone were to ask me what has been my biggest accomplishment in life, I would lift my head high and speak from my heart with a parent’s pride as I said the words ‘my son’.” Andrea Adaire Fischer
- “Son, I love you. That’s never at stake. Never, never, never at stake.” Kirk Cameron, American actor and producer
- “Success isn’t a result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.” Arnald Henry Glasaw (1905-1998) American businessman and humanist
- “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882) American poet and essayist
- “The greatest conflicts are not between two people but between one person and himself.” Garth Brooks, American singer and songwriter
- “I have a son, who is my heart.” Maya Angelou (1928-2014) American poet and author
I am so proud of my three sons. Being their dad has been the greatest responsibility, joy and honor of my life. I have so much fun with them. They remind me of a few things in life:
- Don’t take myself too seriously. Laugh a lot. It is fun to make others laugh.
- God is so good and generous.
- Treasure each moment, each experience.
- God wants to use my sons and my experiences with them to teach me, to help me grow up in Christ.
- God’s love is extravagant. I love my sons so much, and I would do anything for them. That deep love I have for them is a glimpse of God’s love for me. Blows my mind.